1. Welcome to Webmaster Talk. We are a community of skilled web developers looking to share our knowledge and expertise.
    If you're looking for assistance or want to share your knowledge with the community, consider joining our webmaster forum.
    Dismiss Notice

What CPU brand do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Hardware / Software' started by PenguinManiac, Apr 7, 2016.

?

AMD or Intel?

1. AMD

25.0%
  2. Intel

75.0%
  1. PenguinManiac

PenguinManiac Experienced Webmaster

CPU choice is always fundamental when you're building a new desktop, or even when you're choosing a laptop to buy. Which brand do you prefer between AMD and Intel, and why? What are the main factors that may influence your choice?

I personally almost always go with AMD, because their price-quality ratio is remarkable: furthermore, they're easily the best choice in the medium-low tier, considering most low-end Intel CPUs don't have more than 2 cores.

2. Norjak71

Norjak71 Newbie

I usually do Intel and its for silly reasons honestly. Most of the stuff or games I buy usually have intel specifications more than anything else and it's easier for me that way. Also, my knowledge of AMD is slim to none, but if you gave me the specs of your computer, lets say with an i-3, i-5, i-7, how many cores etc... I'd be able to give you a very definitive review of your PC and what it can handle. I do a lot of Flight Simulator gaming as well and I believe that Intel, from what I've read and personally experienced, tops all in this, but you really need a top of the line i-7 processor to max that out and even then you'd have to overclock.

3. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Rookie Webmaster

I've had around 5 computers in my life, all of them were Intel for some reason. I don't really have anything to complain about, so why change it to a different brand? I think the specifications of the laptop is more important than the brand, as the processor is only a small part of the entire machine that makes the computer work. As long as it can do the functions quickly, I really don't care which.

4. VashStampede

VashStampede Web Veteran

Actually while I do like AMD, as competition is needed to stop monopoly, and they indeed make budget CPUs for good price point, the current top of the line CPUs are from Intel. Sad but true, Intel is way ahead of the game at this moment.

Over the 15 years or more, I have built over a dozen desktop PCs where I can personally choose what components to use. Only two of them had a CPU from AMD. Neither of them were built for myself. One was for my buddy, the other one was for my parents. They just need a computer with good performance but not overpriced. So AMD CPU met their needs.

For myself, I always picked the most overclock-able CPUs. For the most part, the most overclock-able CPUs were from Intel.
    I still remember back in the old days, I was able to set a 1.8GHZ Pentium 4 Northwood chip at 2.4GHZ on stock cooling. And later a 2.6GHZ Northwood chip at 3.4GHZ on stock cooling. And much later, a Core 2 Due E8500 overclocked to 4.0GHZ on stock cooling. Most AMD chips aren't capable of such feat, since they produce more heat in general (not that they are overheating, just more heat then Intel chips).

Anyway, my recent two laptops all happened to use Intel chips too. Dell Vostro 1500 and Microsoft Surface Pro 4.
    So I guess, I am a Intel guy with sympathy (and respect) to AMD. :D

5. JayFSG

JayFSG Rookie Webmaster

Intel pretty much has the competition beat...

6. kevinsam

kevinsam Rookie Webmaster

AMD is much more accepted and affordable

7. serversget

serversget Newbie

I like Intel its not so cheap as AMD but its good.

8. dbs00

dbs00 Newbie

So much spam on this forum. are the mods dead?

9. oshqeu

oshqeu Newbie

Hi , I like amd cpu , because they have more MHz and last his cpu AMD Ryzen can have 4Ghz

10. STBarett

STBarett Newbie

Share This Webmaster Forum