1. Welcome to Webmaster Talk. We are a community of skilled web developers looking to share our knowledge and expertise.
    If you're looking for assistance or want to share your knowledge with the community, consider joining our webmaster forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Pixel art style for a website?

Discussion in 'Graphic Design & Multimedia' started by PenguinManiac, Mar 21, 2016.

1. PenguinManiac

PenguinManiac Experienced Webmaster

I was thinking about creating a pixelated layout for my website, but I'm wondering how well it would work. Are there any examples out there I can draw some inspiration from? Do you think it would work, or should I opt for a more minimalistic design? Would it still look good if I mixed it with other styles?

2. kalia

kalia Rookie Webmaster

By pixelated, do you mean without anti-aliasing like the old space invaders games?

If you're going for that look, then many retro game sites should be able to provide some inspiration. You'd need to be careful about fonts though, since a pixelated font might look good as a heading, but it is going to be hard to read if you have large amounts of body text. In general, if you search for pixelated layouts, most designers only pixelate the background and a few logo elements to make sure there are no useability concerns. PSDfan has an example of a pixelated image and layout that looks good, but they have blended the pixelation with a minimal layout to make it more readable.

Looking at what other designers have done, you might want to go for a blended look, unless you've got a reason to go fully retro.

3. PenguinManiac

PenguinManiac Experienced Webmaster

Yeah, that's pretty close to what I had in mind. I have tried to create completely retro-styled websites in the past, but, as you have said, blocky fonts are not that nice to look at.
    Creating a mix of old and new sounds like a good idea. Thank you!

4. Benoit W

Benoit W Rookie Webmaster

Dоn't bе аfrаid. Hаvе fun! Divе in!

Pixеl аrt is аll аbоut lеаrning tо simplify things. This is nоt а skill thаt соmеs еаsily tо mоst pеоplе, but thаnkfully, it's vеry fun tо еxplоrе. Аll yоu nееd tо plаy аrоund is а grid аnd а wаy tо mаrk thе squаrеs (pixеls) in thаt grid.

Thе first еxеrсisе I'd rесоmmеnd, is tо try tо сrеаtе аs mаny diffеrеnt fасеs аs yоu саn mаkе in а grid оf 4 x 4 pixеls. Usе оnly 1 bасkgrоund соlоr, аnd 1 fоrеgrоund соlоr, nоthing еlsе. Blасk аnd whitе is thе mоst оbviоus сhоiсе hеrе, but yоu саn usе аny 2 yоu wаnt.

5. Jenny Brighton

Jenny Brighton Rookie Webmaster

The field of pixel art was conceived from classic gaming which has grown into modern pixel art.

6. Alex Reed

Alex Reed Rookie Webmaster

I started learning web design not long ago (I create websites using mostly Joomla), and pixel art is something new for me. I hope I'll try it in future. It is good to be a member of this community as I can gain knowledge here. Thank you, guys!

7. possolutions

possolutions Newbie

Thanks For Your Information.

Share This Webmaster Forum