1. Welcome to Webmaster Talk. We are a community of skilled web developers looking to share our knowledge and expertise.
    If you're looking for assistance or want to share your knowledge with the community, consider joining our webmaster forum.

Is it worth to get "Site Lock" from Hostgator?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by VashStampede, Jan 9, 2013.

1. VashStampede Web Veteran

Message Count:
    So I logged into my Cpanel in Hostgator the other day, and there popped up a notice. Hostgator wants to offer this service called "Site Lock". The following is the details.

SiteLock
    Security for Small Business
    Protect your site from hackers, viruses, and spam!
    $29.99 / year
    [IMG]

Do you think such service is worth paying for?
    Is it really going to make the site so much more secure against hacker/virus? (or will they pay you if they can't keep their word? lol)
    Is it really going to stop spam?
  2. Jessi Experienced Quirkster

Message Count:
    I have never heard of this feature before. I looked up some reviews, though, and you might want to check this one out:

http://doesitreallywork.org/sitelock-review

I don't think it's worth it for most people. It's only really going to be good for small businesses who are taking money via their site and want to reassure their customers that it's safe.
    Smokey likes this.
  3. Smokey Experienced Webmaster

Message Count:
    Heh another money grabbing scheme from Hostgator. :p As Jessi said, it's designed for small/big business owners who want to make their customers feel safer. If you're running a business on a shared hosting account, you're doing it wrong anyway.
  4. VashStampede Web Veteran

Message Count:
    They certainly were hoping to get some money off it. Every one of the millions hostgator users is getting this pop up when they logged on, and it would continue to pop up in your face every tine you log on until you check the box "Do not show me this again".

I think they probably did not get good results initially. Today, I noticed they have already changed the price to "Start at $14.99 per year". I bet the second year would be higher.
  5. ohiotom76 Senior Webmaster

Message Count:
    I have it on one of my sites, it doesn't really do much to protect your site as it states, but it's more of a reassurance to consumers, similar to Verisign - but cheaper. I don't think it's totally necessary though and I probably won't renew my subscription to it. If you're running a small ecommerce site, and using something like PayPal to process the payments for example, you can already emphasize that instead. I would just mention something like, "Secure payment processing provided by PayPal".
  6. Sam Sian Newbie

Message Count:
    I am not sure what is your website about? but I got the security badge for my website site lock really protects website from lots of security issues I used it for my shopping cart you can red more about sitelock security here in sitelock review, Please provide information about your website to theme they can help you with that.
  7. VashStampede Web Veteran

Message Count:
    Do you mean the security badge from the site lock actually turn away hackers because it make them think it will be harder to crack? Or does the site lock itself actually do something to really protect the site?

I am not going to pay for it now since I am not selling anything directly.
    Sam Sian likes this.
  8. Sam Sian Newbie

Message Count:
    Yes man It really protects your website from hackers, it don't just shows a security badge, sitelock scans your website from XSS and SQL injections that most of hackers use it against websites you can find all related information about sitelock and how it can protect you in the link that I provided in the last post, also I have to tell you that dont buy sitelock from your hosting provider because you will not get a range of choice that it can provide for you manually in the link above you can get sitelock for a free try, when you experienced that you will find out what really sitelock is?.
  9. dconklin Experienced Webmaster

Message Count:
    I was wondering about it too. I didn't see it at $29.99 tho, I only saw the pop up that said starting at $14.99 a year - but I also do not log in everyday. I didn't try it or even look more into it yet, but it sounds like something I won't need. Mine is a blog and the only thing I would sell would be advertising.

By the pop up I thought it was to help keep your site safe (not really just for payments.) If it was a good protection against hackers and malware overall, then yes I would do it. But if it is more or less a piece of mind for customers I am not since I don't really have any.

Share This Webmaster Forum