1. Welcome to Webmaster Talk. We are a community of skilled web developers looking to share our knowledge and expertise.
    If you're looking for assistance or want to share your knowledge with the community, consider joining our webmaster forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Can you create your own?

Discussion in 'Scripts and Addons' started by kcareconnect, Dec 4, 2012.

1. kcareconnect

kcareconnect Experienced Webmaster

Can someone create their own content management system to work with their website? This isn't something I would know how to do. That being said, I am wondering if some people could do this. There are features I would love to have that I do not see on most systems.

2. garfish

garfish Senior Webmaster

If an individual is really great with coding why not. Wordpress CMS as far as I know is created by someone and now its been developed by a group of developers in the opensource world. If your CMS has potential, you might just gain few sponsors and earns through it. And fame as well :D

3. SimplySidy

SimplySidy Experienced Webmaster

Of course. I as a coder have created some small applications for my clients which have ranged from blogs to e-commerce sites. And yes, it does take a while to get the finished product online and still more days (or months) to test and see for real if they are bug free. but just as dear garfish said above - Even WordPress was coded sometime by a few people and as such everything that exists on the Internet can be coded... I firmly believe - if they can do it, so can we. :)

4. Victor Leigh

Victor Leigh Web Veteran

Agreed. If others can do it, why can't we? However, the first question we should be asking is, why do it at all? If it's just a feature that you want and cannot find elsewhere, then why not just code that particular feature to use on an existing platform like, say, Wordpress.

5. themdno

themdno Experienced Webmaster

I tend to code everything myself, and don't like using pre-built CMS's. I want to know exactly how something works, and why it works, and I don't want to decipher someone else's code.

Typically, if I need 'x' feature, I can get it on wordpress. But, the problem is, it comes in a plugin that does 'xyz'. It can be bloated, when all you really need is a simple fix.

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76 Web Veteran

I'm not much of a fan of custom coded CMS's. I suppose it is fine if you are building one for your own personal sites, and you know how to do it. However I would never recommend that to a client if I was designing a site for them. That's a tremendous waste of time and cost to bill them for building a CMS from the ground up before you even get the site itself designed. The other thing to consider is who is going to upkeep it? There may be bugs in it that the original developer didn't catch for example.

7. Alex Reed

Alex Reed Rookie Webmaster

In my opinion, it can be difficult to work with Wordpress if you don't have much experience. I think that the best way is to use a website builder. It is easy-to-use and doesn't require special skills. Also you can save money if you choose a free builder (you can watch the most popular of them on http://www.beautifullife.info/web-design/15-best-free-website-builders/). Personally I tried Wix and Jimbo, and I was pleased with the result. If you want to build a good website with minimum effort, this is for you.

8. Shumi

Shumi Experienced Webmaster

As like everyone is suggesting, its not an impossible task to do! Someone himself has developed all of these CMS so another coder can do the same for himself I guess!

Share This Webmaster Forum